Wednesday, April 6, 2011

A weekend away.

For Matt's 30th Birthday I got us a hotel in Chicago! Grammy and Pooh-Bah agreed to watch the boys for 2 nights and Matt and I went on our way for our first time away from the boys.

It was A.MAZ.ING.
It was so nice not to have to worry about waking up for the boys (even though we were up super early both days anyhow!) and naps, and being Mummy and Daddy.

The drive up was fine, till we hit rush hour traffic just outside Chicago. It took us like 3 hours to go the last 15 miles! Every turn we tried to take downtown had roadworks and was closed, then a double length bus got stuck trying to turn a corner in front of us and no one could move.
Then we had a "railroad crossing experience!". All I will say is if someone tells you "don't pull onto the railroad track unless its clear" then that's what you should do.
That's all I'm saying about that.

Once we checked in we cracked open our bottle of champagne courtesy of Auntie Jules!


Blurry iPhone photo!
Then we headed out to Lou Malnatis for Chicago style Deep Dish Pizza!
It was awesome, and oh so filling! I could only eat 1 1/2 slices of a small pizza, so unlike me :) The wait was 1 1/2 hours when we got there, we had dinner at 10:30pm in the end, but I managed to get a seat at the bar and we drank and talked to some guy at the bar who was on leave from Iraq, his wife was still there, they both served as Lawyers for the Army.
It was a fun night :)

The next day we both decided to run along the Lake, it was a beautiful morning, and the highlight of our trip. Of course I didn't run WITH Matt, but we took the same path, and he caught me up on my way back. I managed 5.86 miles, the longest I have ever ran, it was just such a wonderful morning I could have kept on and on! Most of the photos of the lake and city I took on my morning run.

We caught up with Uncle Greg and Hannah and they took us to second city comedy club. The show was awesome and just as funny as you'd expect. We ate out lots, drank a little more than we should have, and did lots of sight seeing, wondering and hanging out! These photos are in reverse order of our trip because Blogger is stupid.

The Chicago Art Institute.









Millennium Park- These are fountains which squirt water from their mouths in summer time. The faces change all day long, and sometimes its a fake waterfall.





The bean. A huge sculpture in the park, everyone takes their photo in it, its the in thing to do in Chicago!






The view from Uncle Greg's Groupon office.


More Bean.



Inside the Bean. I have no idea if this thing has a real name?
Ok- I Googled it- Cloud Gate.




The start of our run.


Photos from my run.





We had a really good time, it was such a wonderful city and it was nice to be a couple again!
Harrison and Allister were missed, but they had a great time hanging out with Grammy and Pooh-Bah! Thanks again guys :) You are amazing for taking them on!

We got the biggest hugs when we got home, which made the trip even more enjoyable. Harrison wouldn't leave my side all day for 2 days, or let me out of his sight. He keeps telling us that we went to "Costco" for our trip. And that daddy ate a giant bean, then we came home to Harrison's house and Pooh-bah went to pooh-bahs house.
I bet you didn't realize all this fun could be had at Costco!




No comments: