Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Another ouchy

So Harrison has broken his left collar bone :(
We spent another long long day in doctors offices and urgent care! We had an appointment with our doctor at 11.10am, and then went home had lunch, and then back to urgent care. We got home just now at 5:20pm.
I want to scream!
It was so hard keeping Harrison happy and amused, he was tired, grumpy and not feeling great. The X-ray part went quick, then we waited what seemed like forever just to have a bandage put on that I could do in 5 seconds. So much for speedier service when you pay!
Anyway, I think the whole experience was tainted by the fact that we spend a couple of needless hours there on Sunday (I will explain below.)
Here is Harrison's X-ray- the break is pretty obvious and everyone said how well he is doing despite it! He's not very fussy and moving his arm fairly well, just not holding it right up.



So the story goes a little like this...
Saturday night 1am- THUD. Harrison falls out of bed (First time ever!) cries for 2 or 3 hours, and so I give him Ibuprofen and he goes to sleep with me in his bed. After I leave to go back to my bed, Harrison comes into our room, so he sleeps with us and does fine till 7am or so, then wakes up crying again and holding the side and back of his neck. After much debate with Daddy Matt we decide to call the doctor, he has a bad cold and bad cough too, so we wonder is it the fall or an ear infection?
The doctor tells us if he is moving around fine and seems fairly happy wait till urgent care opens at noon, so we do and off we go.

Once we get to see the doctor, I explain everything and she checks his ears, no problem. She checks his throat no problem. She assumes a sinus infection because we cant see anything wrong. She doesn't however feel for a broken collar bone. the most likely broken bone on the body, especially on children and especially after falls from the bed!
I regret not questioning the doctors authority.
We go home with antibiotics and instruction to visit our doctor if he isn't better in 2 days.
Over the next few days Harrison seems a lot better, but I can see his shoulder just looks different and he is favoring his right arm, he also complains of it being "ouchy" and asks me and daddy to "kiss it better" lots and lots! Even Ickle Jason had to kiss it better!

So I decide to trust my instinct and off we go again to the doctor today, who says, yes it looks broken. And so after lunch we return to Urgent care. We wait WAY TOO LONG to be seen by a doctor who is just sitting at a desk, doing "nothing" I'm sure. Or so it feels to my "two tired grumpy" boys self.

Harrison has a shoulder brace that he has already removed. Our doctor said if he doesn't want to wear it don't force the issue, its doesn't aide healing, just helps him feel more comfortable.
He wont be climbing any monkey bars soon!






No comments: