Monday, January 16, 2012

Prevention.

 Harrison and Allister have both  finally been officially diagnosed with Cough Variant Asthma. I've neen convinced they had it a while, but we wanted to make sure it wasn't just a fluke winter. Come every  winter so far,  my boys start to cough, around Halloween time. Then they pretty much cough straight through till spring. With a few gaps here and there. So we had an appointment to talk about prevention with the Pediatrician. Of  course as soon as we get to the appointment both boys stop coughing completely. And seem fine, so I start to question my judgment! But then the day after our appointment the coughs are back. It's seems to go in cycles with the weather. Cold and damp = cough. 

Harrison is particularly bad. Allister has episodes mainly when he is sick, and seems ok I between. Harrison's school have spoken to me as they sit him out during play time sometimes because he can't stop coughing. Poor boy :( he vomits during the nightly episodes, sometimes 3/4 times, and it's hard for him to catch his breath. As soon as the cycle starts we begin using his rescue inhaler, albuturol, every 4 hours. But this takes a few days to have full effect.  And we are all misserable with lack of sleep until it kicks in. So we are getting both boys allergy tested, and starting singulair. Harrisons first day was today, we are going to wait and see how Allister does as he seems to have a milder case right now. I'm hoping the medicine does the trick and has no side effects. It takes up to 6 weeks to have the benifit of the full effect, so let's hope it helps soon! 

Yesterday Harrison said to our babysitter " coughing makes me sad". Me too :(

I'll keep you posted!

 

No comments: