Monday, July 26, 2010

Toddler proofing and naps.

Baby proofing takes on a whole different meaning when you have a toddler.
It surprises me when I go into houses where they have no toddler proofing, no gates, or cupboard locks. Nothing!
Now, they obviously don't have a boy like Harrison!
There is an argument to say, don't baby proof, they will learn not to touch stuff, run up stairs, etc etc etc, I do understand this completely.
However Harrison is learning not to touch stuff, he even says "Touch Stuff!" on a regular basis now ;O)
But kids are different, and Harrison is more inquisitive than the average two year old, I just don't have the energy to be on constant guard wondering what he is up to, and if he is safe. Especially when I am nursing Allister and can't see what he is up to! Poor Allister has his feeds interrupted enough as it is! Especially since Harrison has take about 1 1/2 naps in the last 3 weeks, and he REALLY needs to catch up on some sleep!
Big time.
He is a time bomb waiting to happen right now. Everything is drama, he is so worn out. I have taken all the books and toys out of his room today, just left a few soft toys, I hope this does the trick. I don't know what else to do! We have the same routine, the same old time as usual. I've also tried napping him earlier, later, all to no avail. I wouldn't mind if he didn't actually need the sleep, but as soon as we get in the car he is asleep in 5 minutes or less. Matt and I even drove around for an hour on Saturday to get him some sleep. He is so over tired he is waiting to explode and have a tantrum at every opportunity.
Ive taken him to the park and pool before hand to wear him out. Nope.
Ive snuggle down with him in his bed. Nope.
Ive laid him on the couch in front of a movie. Nope.
The only thing we can think of right now is to get him to bed super early, like 7:30 and hope he sleeps right away so he can catch up a bit, assuming this doesn't mean he wakes up super early! We will try it tonight, dinner, then bed, right away.

Anyway, back to baby proofing!
We have locks on many doors, gates everywhere and fragile stuff put away. Its enough of a job to stop him playing with the DVD's, climbing on the glass TV cabinet, out of Guinness's dog food and water, out of the pantry, stopping him playing with the toilet paper and so on and so on. I do not want to be telling him off , and saying NO, all day, that's no fun for either of us!
So he will, I hope, learn boundaries from the stuff that is in reach, and where I can see him and keep him safe! And the bigger picture of keeping him out of mischief when he is out of sight will come later.

No comments: